Friday, February 22, 2008

Amazed

For lack of a better word, I'll use that one. I got back not to long ago from a friend's house. I had taken a meal over for her & her family, which consists of her husband, their 8 children ranging in age from 14 years to 10 weeks. The reason for the meal is twofold: 1) they have a newborn & 2) their 4 year old daughter, Maggie, (my Michael's buddy) has Leukemia. She was diagnosed with approximately 4 weeks prior to the birth of the baby. What amazes me about this family is the quiet calmness in which they have handled everything that God has given to them these last few months. They do not look at Maggie's ALL as a curse but rather as a blessing, in some odd sort of hard to comprehend way (not that they wouldn't have minded skipping this particular blessing)....that they trust in the Lord to provide them with the strength to handle whatever comes their way, and so far, they have. I admire both Maureen (my friend) & Shannon (her husband) so much...I have been shown, through them, what physical strength, tolerance, trust & courage are, personified. Throughout all that has been going in their lives (and the children are home schooled to boot), whenever I go to their house, it is calm. Not quiet, not still, just calm. Kids are playing, but not screaming. Perhaps I've just hit it at the right times, as I have seen Maggie & her younger sister Jane, in action, and they certainly can give Michael & Daniel a run for their money. My favorite verse is always in the back of my mind and I just need to listen to it a little bit more because I think I have seen the verse in human form in this family.

~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me~
Philippians 4:13

1 comment:

The Lazy Perfectionist said...

I love those moments...it almost seems as if you see things more clearly and your 2 feet are back on the ground, doesn't it?