Friday, February 29, 2008

a new challenge


Well, I have officially accepted the position of nursery manager for our church. Now, I have worked in the nursery for several years, and was quite content to be told when to show up, what to do while I was there, and when to leave. But, when our current nursery manager resigned a month ago, the higher ups came to me immediately and asked if I was interested. My initial answer was a great big NO. I thought about it for a while, then told them I might consider it, depending upon what it entailed. I had one sticking point, though, and they had one sticking point, both of which were linked to one another. "They" (the church higher ups) wanted me to physically be in the church every Sunday from 7:50am until 12:30pm....I did not necessarily have to be in the nursery for all of the those hours, nor do I think that they wanted me to be clocked in for all of those hours, but just be in the building...you know, just in case. This was their sticking point. I, however, was adamant that I was not going to be in the church from 7:50am until 12:30pm, whether it be in the nursery, in worship, or whatever. I told them that I would be there for the 11:00am service & on an as needed, emergency basis for the other two services. That was my sticking point. (A little background: Our church has two "campuses". One in Manassas & one in Haymarket ((which is new)). I used to go to the one in Manassas, but I started going to the one in Haymarket when it opened in November because I do not care at all for the minister in Manassas. My theory is that if I don't care for the person delivering the message, then I'm going to miss the message. I know, I shouldn't "kill the messenger", but it's the way I feel, and I feel that I get more from the minister in Haymarket, so that's where I go).

Anyway, long story short (actually, it's too late for that), "they" obviously decided that if they wanted someone for the job, they were going to have to bend a little (another background tidbit: no one else was interested in even talking about taking this position on, so it was me or no one, and the clock was ticking).

So, here I am, somewhat wondering what I've gotten myself into. The description that I was given during the talking/interviewing process vaguely resembles the description that was handed down after taking the job. YIKES....I did, however, tell them that I would do contingent upon a 60 day probationary period. If I feel that it's a fit for me, then I'll stay on...same goes for them.

They are looking for a major overhaul of their nursery structure as it is now, and while I feel that I'm up to the task, I hate failing, and I've never had a job where I was also taking care of my own children at the same time. I feel like I keep adding to my plate and not removing anything...oh yeah, I'm also chairperson of the prize committee for Bryn's after prom party.

3 comments:

The Lazy Perfectionist said...

Wow, you do have a lot going on. How often do you have to be there during the week? Is there some stuff you can do at home? It sounds like a huge church.

It also sounds like they are looking for change, and that might be really fun for you to do. Rather than try to fit into someone else's shoes, you might have more freedom to make it better overall, and a better fit for you.

I am wagering a lot on the flylady. I am really optimistic and i think that if I (we) can really adopt a lot of those habits, I think home duties are going to be less effort and that will help you feel like you have more brainspace and time to give to this new job.

BTW, how is everything going with the Brynster? Is he taking a hot mama to the prom? (no, not you)

the (not so) reluctant housewife said...

I think it will more be a matter of getting the people of the church to volunteer rather than having to have it staffed by paid employees. Their main goal is to have the Sunday morning nursery staffed soley by volunteers. The members of the church have gotten off far too easy over the past two years. And, yes, we are a big church, but not as big as we were a couple years ago. In 2005, our minister of almost 12 years was "forced" into retirement and when he left & the new pastor was brought in, there was a huge wave of people leaving and people have been slowly leaving ever since. We went from having over 1,500 members to maybe 500, so they are also in a period of trying to rebuild.

Bryn is doing much better. He actually seems to be happier now that he is here on full time basis during the week. I thought maybe it was just my wishful thinking imagination, but Brian said the same thing to me this morning. He will be playing with the praise band at our church on Sundays as well, and he actually seems excited about. He met with the band leader on Wednesday & they practiced for about 2 hours & they will be practicing again tomorrow. He initially was going to play bass, but I think he will be playing guitar to start switching to bass at a later date. We are waiting to get an appt. with the counselor & we are not having a lot of luck with a tutor, but have something in the interim. Thank you for asking.

Are you ready for your cruise? I'm guessing from one of your posts that it's a family thing & not just you & Jeff.

The Lazy Perfectionist said...

4pitchers@comcast.net