Monday, March 3, 2008

3 Hours


that's all that I am "supposed" to work in my new role; however, I believe that I worked that in one day! Per the big guy upstairs....not THAT big guy--the minister....all I really have to is schedule. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it. The problem is, I have NOBODY TO SCHEDULE. And on top of that, all of these small groups keep throwing in their requests (with about a day and half notice) that they want the nursery open. And, being that there has to be 2 people scheduled at all times, is a problem in and of itself because did I mention that I have NOBODY TO SCHEDULE!!

Again, I sit wondering, what did I get myself into???

I mean, I'm all for a challenge and love to *do* things, but I really like having my freedom to do what I want, pretty much when I want. Not having to schedule anything (except, of course, appointments, but you get my drift), not having to really report to anyone, not having to find someone to cover for me, etc. I have never had a job (except for the current one of haus frau) where I didn't have coverage already provided for me if I were on vacation or sick (actually, the mortgage industry it was more like "we'll handle the stuff that can't wait, the rest will be waiting for you when you get back".....like a little welcome back present!).

And to top it all off, the majority of my ideas to bring in volunteers have been shot down. That group is too busy, that family volunteers in another area of the church, they only bring their children twice a month, etc....BUT they don't want me working the shifts that aren't covered by a volunteer because they don't want to pay me. I think they are suggesting that I volunteer my time....not to mention they are hinting that I should be there for all of the services. Perhaps I won't make it through my 60 day trial period.

On another note, I did (finally) get some recommendations for a LCSW for Bryn. Since his pediatrician was of no help, and I couldn't find any listed through his insurance provider, I spoke to his guidance counselor, who was more than helpful (unlike the one he had his freshman & sophomore year....perhaps if he had the one he has now, who is definitely much more proactive, things might be different now, but who knows????). I also have an appointment to get him tested through a tutoring center to find his key weaknesses in Algebra & Spanish. They said I am under no obligation and they give me a copy of the evaluation. That made me feel more apt to take him because the cost is $275 for a four hour block of tutoring....WAY out of my price range...even college students down here charge between $25 & $40 per hour to tutor. I have a high schooler who has helped out in the past, but she is not a constant source, and that is what we need.

Well, the microwave is beeping to let me know that I need to remove the food which will soon become our scrumptious supper. Bryn laughs because I have decided that I am "getting back to my roots" by calling it supper. One of my friends down here calls it supper also (she is from Illinois) & Bryn just thought that was the most hick thing ever, which is why I made the decision that I made. Anytime I can annoy him with just one word, I'm all for that!

3 comments:

The Lazy Perfectionist said...

If you are the manager, can't you ask whomever you like to volunteer? It is hard to not just do everything yourself, especially if there is resistance.

We will just be getting home when (if) you come up. Pencil us in OK?

I thought supper was lunch up here in these here parts. No? Dinner is at night-time right? I never really knew there was a difference until I started spending some time out in Warren Center. ;)

the (not so) reluctant housewife said...

I have you penciled in, just in case we do come up. Wear your therapist hat though if Michael comes with me...just a warning.

I have no idea about supper/vs lunch. Maybe if you're old supper becomes lunch because you only eat 2 meals a day. I just know the word itself annoys Bryn, so that's enough for me.

And, theoretically, I can ask anyone to volunteer..but they can say no. And we only have 4 paid employees (down from 8 just a few weeks ago & I'm one of the 4), so it leaves pretty slim pickins for even paid people to work. People have not been asked to volunteer for several years in the nursery, so they have become complacent & it is just a matter of getting the word out that volunteers are needed to run the nursery & if there aren't enough volunteers, then the nursery will be closed. Because just as we can't make someone volunteer, we can't really make a paid worker work shifts that they don't want. Anyway...I'm (still) waiting for a call back from yesterday from my direct supervisor about some questions that are beyond my realm of "capabilities". I just left another message. That's another thing. Nobody seems to have any sense of urgency, about anything. boo hoo

did you get iced in today?

The Lazy Perfectionist said...

No ice today...see blog a priori.

You'll do fine, you have a way of being persuasive.